Sunday, March 4, 2012

Carrie Bradshaw is My Religion (Sort Of)

So I failed. I made up every excuse in the book. I had to watch one more show on Hulu. I had to sort through my socks and make sure they all had partners. I had to feed my dog (I don't have a dog). I had to answer all of the telemarketing phone calls that always call me at the exact same time every day to request that I be put on their do not call list. And then proceeded to have nice little chats with each of them. There might have even been a point where I decided to organize my pens by the color spectrum. My fool proof plan was a failure.

It made me realize just because I set a goal to write does not mean I will write. Clearly, writer's block doesn't work that way. So although my exercise failed I did learn an important lesson. Maybe it's time to try something different.

Avid procrastinator and T.V. watcher that I am I found myself watching an episode of Sex and the City that was focused on my exact issue (Season 5, Episode 2 "Unoriginal Sin" to be exact). Carrie was also struggling with writer's block. She was talking about how her lack of inspiration led her to write about her quest to find the perfect french fry when I wanted to jump through the screen and give good ol' Sarah Jessica Parker a hug. Hallelujah sister! She knew my pain.

                                             (via theboywiththepradabackpack.blogspot.com)

Sex and the City hasn't just helped me with my writing but others too. I was surprised to find this article on how one writer learned about writing from Sex and the City. It struck me as insane and random but I suppose that's what writing can be sometimes. Doesn't matter how you find inspiration as long as you do. And it can come from the most surprising of places. So thank you Sex and the City.

                                                            (via anygoodshow.com)

In the episode Carrie writes a poem about how men are like argyle socks (again a random inspiration) and also goes to a baptism. The theme of religion and writing about whatever your eye lands on in your room gave me an idea for my own poem that popped into my head as I drank a refreshing glass of water.

Water For the Senses


Pour some water upon my eyes they have to be baptized
Cascading waves could never erase the sin from any saint
After prayer and contrition
Water can give no redemption
Aching with no other thought
I cast my sightless eyes upon my closed lids

So there it is! My first piece of writing post writer's block. It has no real meaning. I was just working with religious and watery imagery. But it's a start. Funny how it came from trying to avoid writing instead of from a writing exercise I was forcing myself to do. Carrie Bradshaw helped me find my faith in writing again. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Carrie Bradshaw is my religion too! Carrie always seems to glamorously have something worth writing about while drinking and lounging around. I tried to do that too but its not that glamorous in real life

    ReplyDelete